Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Light String

  Where have the last 2 weeks gone?  I feel like it was just Thanksgiving and now we're well on our way to Christmas.  Are you decorated?  Shopping finished?  Cookies baked?  Probably not on that last one huh?  You don't want them to be stale before Christmas is here!  I've got some more decorating and some shopping to do but all the big stuff is finished….big tree inside and lights outside in the yard.  Now I just have to find a decent fake tree for our front entrance hall.  I had a tree that just wasn't cutting it anymore and after it did its duty last year we tossed it.  I might just get another real one (like we have in the family room but much smaller to my husbands relief) and wait until the after Christmas sales to get an artificial one.  What a Christmas dilemma huh?  Lol!

  Well since it's Friday we have another awesome challenge over at Fab Friday.  Mindy has given us some fantastic colors to work with!  Look at these beauties!  Primrose Petals, Real Red, Pool Party, Gumball Green and Whisper White.  I'm really excited to see what people come up with.  I think this combo would be great for Christmas and also for every day cards!



  I went with a Christmas card since I am still woefully short on cards to mail out.  I think I may make several more of this design since I like it so much.  My photo doesn't do it justice I don't think.  I just couldn't get a good photo to save my life.  Squint your eyes up a bit and use your imagination!  Maybe it was the white background or something….who knows.  Maybe I should ask for a photography class for Christmas.


  I had some of the retired long skinny envelopes sitting around and I wanted to get them used up to make some more room since I have a (large) box of Spring catalog pre-order and Sale-a-Bration goodies coming.  So long and narrow it is.

  When I received the ornament framelits at the end of the summer I immediately thought this short fat shape looked just like a Christmas light bulb and have been meaning to try it out ever since.  I cut the "bulbs" using a few of challenge colors using the framelits.   I sponged some silver Shimmer Paint on the base with a sponge dauber.  While my lightbulbs were drying I cut a Pool Party base and a layer of Primrose Petals and Whisper White.  The Whisper White layer was run through the Big Shot with the Northern Flurry embossing folder.

  Then it was time for stringing the lights….everyone's favorite Christmas activity right?  I used Pool Party baker's twine and wrapped a loop around the bulb base.  I put a glue dot on the back to hold the twine in place and then worked my way down the line alternating colors.  I stamped the sentiment from Sweet Essentials in black and then adhered my lights across the Whisper White panel.  I tucked the ends of the twine behind and then adhered all the layers to the card base.

  Not a lot of stamping but I like it.  Hop over the the Fab Friday blog to see the other design team creations and then play along.  I'd love to see what you create with these colors!

  Thanks for looking!  Did you stamp today?

Stamps: Sweet Essentials

Ink: black

Paper: Primrose Petals, Real Red, Pool Party, Gumball Green, Whisper White

Accessories: Northern Flurry e.f., Silver Shimmer paint, baker's twine, Holiday Ornaments framelitsFab Friday

3 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I have a friend who's a lighting designer and I always try to make him a card with Christmas lights -- I think I just found the perfect on to CASE! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and simple! We're headed to Florida for Christmas-we're so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like this card a lot! Wonderfully done! Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!