Monday, December 19, 2011

Rolled Designer Series Paper Ornament

  Well I'm back!  The last 2 weeks have been pretty hectic and I think I have finally gotten caught up with everything.  Sadly, in the middle of the fun of preparing for Christmas my aunt passed away after a long battle against cancer so I was out of state for a few days last week to attend her funeral and be with my grandparents, mom and other relatives.  We sure are going to miss her but know she is in a better place with God and is no longer in pain.  Once I got back home I was able to get all of my Christmas cards mailed out (Thank goodness I had them all made from doing the Christmas Card Challenge all year!), finish decorating the house, make my cookies for a cookie exchange and make the gifts for the boys teachers.  Wow!  That makes me tired just typing all that and leads me to what I'm showing today...A fast, easy gift to make!  We made these at my last stamp club of the year and I also made about 13 more for teacher gifts.  Rolled DSP ornaments!

  For the life of me I couldn't get a decent photo of these glass ornaments so you'll have to bear with me and use your imagination a bit to see how cute they are!  First get some of the empty clear glass ornament balls and take the metal cap off.  Cut thin strips from your DSP.  At stamp club we used strips between 1/4" & 3/4" wide.  Use a pencil to tightly wrap the paper strip and put it into the ornament opening and gently slip it off the pencil.  The paper roll will unravel slightly and that's OK.  Keep filling up your ornament until the paper strips are packed tight but not smooshing (yes, that's the technical term!) each other. 

  Next, using the Silver Glimmer paper and the Simple Alphabet dies cut out whatever initial you need for the person you're giving it too.  Some of my stamping ladies had a hard time deciding if they should use their own first name initial, their last name initial or make it to give to someone else.  I told them the ornaments were easy enough that they could make more at home!  I chose to make an "m" for "Mertz" and hang it on my own tree.  We punched a hole in the Glimmer Paper inital and punched a little tag with the jewelry tag punch and wrote the year on it.  We threaded some bakers twine and tied everything to the wire loop at the top of the ornament.  Next, take a few pinches of Champagne Glass Glitter and sprinkle it into the glass ball. To finish the ornament off put the metal hanger back on and use either seam binding ribbon or 5/8" satin ribbon to make the loop to hang on the tree.



























  For club we used the Letters to Santa DSP and matched the ribbon and twine to it.  Some of my ladies even used some small scraps of Glimmer Paper to add to their ornaments and that looked really cool too.  The ornaments that I made for gifts I used the Frostwood Lodge DSP from the Holiday Mini and just changed out the ribbon colors.  This is a great personalized gift that you can make in no time at all while sipping hot chocolate and listening to Christmas music or watching your favorite Christmas movie.

  Thanks for sticking with me even though I haven't posted at all lately!  And thanks for looking!  Did you stamp today?


Stamps: None

Ink: markers to match your DSP


Paper: Letters to Santa DSP, Whisper White (small tag), Silver Glimmer paper

Accessories: clear glass ornaments (non-SU), ribbon, baker's twine, Simple Alphabet die, jewelry tag punch, glass glitter

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love this idea! I have been meaning to do this! Bought the clear glass ornaments and everything... maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!